– Within a multi-faith society, how can religious teachings be applied when there are so many different religious traditions existing in that society?
– How might the teachings of each religious tradition take the teachings of other traditions into account?
– Within any particular faith tradition, what are the basic authoritative texts and teachings, and how closely or literally should the words of a religious text be translated into social practice?
– What are the holidays of each tradition, and how are they celebrated in a contemporary, multi-faith society?
– When we question particular traditional religious social teachings, how do we derive guidance from religious traditions even as we simultaneously challenge them?
9-11 Remembrance — Was the U.S. Founded as a Christian Nation?
Since the attack on September 11, 2001, many Americans have stated their beliefs that America was formed as a Christian nation, and that most of those in colonial America were Christians. This version of our history leaves Jews, Muslims, agnostics and others out of this nation’s founding. The issue was as contentious and complex in colonial days as it is in 2014. What was the Founders’ vision, and how faithful to it have we been?
Dr. John Fea – will be the keynote speaker. Dr. Fea is Chairman of the Department of History and Professor of American History at Messiah College. He is a nationally recognized scholar in the field of early American history. He is the author of a
recent, acclaimed book, entitled: Was America Founded as a Christian Nation? A Historical Introduction. Dr. Fea received his Ph.D. in American History from Stony Brook University